Should I Pressure Treat My Wooden Fence Rails And PostsJuly 8, 2022 12:00 am Leave your thoughts
When it is time to make that fencing decision, you look up the best fencing material that will offer you the long-lasting and best service. It can be daunting since you will need to choose the most durable and cost-effective wood for your fence among the various options available. It is best to look up pressure-treated wood for your fence rails and posts because of its numerous benefits, including:
- It is more durable,
- It needs minimal maintenance
- It is the best quality in the market
Before settling on your fencing choice, it is best to consider the following factors:
- Your surrounding environment. Climatic condition is a determining factor in wood posts and rails since the different types of wood, such as cedar, cypress, pine, spruce, and redwood, will react differently to weather. Using pressure-treated wood solves these challenges as it protects the wood against extreme weather conditions. It is also important to choose UV-protected wood to preserve its pristine color.
- The preferred look. The design and appearance you visualize for your fence will influence the kind of wood to choose since it could be your wish to have an eye-catching or matching fence. After getting pressure-treated wood, you can still enhance its attractiveness by painting your posts and rails.
- The size of your fence: The desired size matters as it will enable you to know the lumber’s length and width, varying with the wood’s style and purpose. The size will determine whether to settle on posts, panels, or rails or when to substitute them.
- Your budget. The amount of money you intend to use for fencing will determine what type of wood to choose for your fence. The quality of wood determines its cost. Pressure-treated wood is more costly than regular wood, but it is durable and will require minimal repairs.
How Do You Pressure Treat Wood?
Pressure treatment is an industrial process that adds fire-retardants or wood stabilizers to the wood. It improves the quality of the wood, making it durable and resistant to insect invasion and extreme weather conditions.
- The wood is taken to the mill.
- The wood’s moisture is checked since high moisture is not ideal for pressure treatment.
- Wood is placed on a trolley to transport to a vacuum cylinder.
- Air is removed from the cylinder and the wood using an industrial vacuum pump.
- A preservation solution is added to the cylinder.
- Then, pressure is applied to the solution to inject the preservatives into the wood cells.
- When that cycle is complete, the surplus solution from the wood uses a vacuum pump.
- The wood is dried for 24 to 48 hours, and then the wood is ready for use.
How Long Does Pressure Treated Wood Last?
Depending on the maintenance, use, and wood type, pressured-treated poles last around 40 years and 10 years for floor and deck panels. It helps to apply water-resistant sealers annually to increase durability.
Is It Safe To Use Pressure-Treated Wood?
Pressure-treated wood is safe for general use. However, it would be best if you took the following precautions:
- Use protective gear when handling.
- Don’t burn.
- Don’t use it as cutting boards.
- Don’t use it for indoor applications.
- Dispose of sawdust with care.
With routine maintenance, pressure-treated wood provides your wood with long-term protection to keep your projects looking beautiful. It is suitable for exterior building.
Categorised in: Wooden Fence Posts
This post was written by admin